By Lisa Spodak (ResultsNotTypical@worldnow.com)
Provided by WorldNow
Week 48 Weigh In:
Change this week: -.0 lbs
Change overall: -63.5 lbs
Well, staying even is not exactly how I wanted this week to go – but at least I didn’t gain anything. And that’s no gain for 3 weeks now! Definitely going in the right direction.
I unexpectedly ended up with nothing to do a couple of nights ago and was reminded of something simple, but important – spending a little time thinking about and preparing food for the week makes daily decisions so much easier.
For example, I’m a big snacker. If I haven’t thought things through and planned ahead, when the snacking urge hits I head down to the newsstand in our building to grab something. The cookies and candy and baked goods are so much more tempting than the soy crisps, making it difficult to stay on plan.
But if I’ve thought ahead, I have a stash of good-for-me goodies in the fridge and in my drawer that make snack time more positive. Putting in just a little more thought ensures that those snacks are healthy and it often saves me money, too.
So, this is how I spent my Monday night…
Went to the store and picked up:
Arnold Sandwich Thins (multi-grain)
Assorted bell peppers: yellow, orange, red
Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
100-calorie packs of Oreo Crisps
Tub of Cool Whip Free
Raw chicken breasts
Laughing Cow cheese in Light Garlic and Herb and Light Original Swiss
Dannon Light & Fit yogurt
Fiber One cereal
- Cooked chicken breasts on George Foreman Grill, then sliced and weighed out 3 ounce portions in separate bags (the chicken slices a lot more easily if you let it cool first!). I use the pre-portioned chicken in salads, for quick quesadillas or fajitas, to make single servings of chicken salad or for a simple protein snack after a workout at the gym.
- Cleaned and sliced the peppers, then divided mixed portions of all the colors into separate baggies for work or on-the-go snacks. I also diced some of the mixture into a separate container to mix with eggs.
- I opened both versions of Laughing Cow cheese and mixed the containers so they are half Garlic and Herb wedges and half Original Swiss wedges; took one to work and kept one at home… they make great snacks spread on Arnold Sandwich Thins, in celery or with apples.
- Sliced 2 bananas and put half in each of four plastic storage containers. Added half of a cup of yogurt, half of a cup of berries and half of a cup of Fiber One cereal to each container and mixed.
- Let Cool Whip defrost, crushed two packs of Oreo Crisps and mixed into Cool Whip, put in freezer to make “ice cream” snack.
- Cleaned and sliced cucumbers… some thick for snacking, some thin for cucumber and fat-free cream cheese sandwiches.
This weekend I’m going to branch out and try cook-ahead meals! I’m thinking about making either chili or whole wheat pasta that can be cooked and saved in single servings for lunches or dinners the rest of the week.