Health tip: Talk to your doctor about the nicotine patch
(HealthDay News) — While the nicotine patch can be an effective method to help some people quit smoking and improve their health, it may not be the best smoking cessation tool for everyone.
The American Academy of Family Physicians lists these factors that need to be discussed with your doctor before using the nicotine patch:
- Having recently had a heart attack or experienced chest pains.
- Having heart disease or high blood pressure.
- Having ulcers of the stomach.
- Being diabetic.
- Experiencing irregular heart beats or skipping heart beats.
- Being allergic to any medications, bandages or tape.
- Suffering a disease of the skin or skin rash.
- Having liver or kidney disease.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.