Health tip: Warm up before exercise
(HealthDay News) — Slow, gentle stretching before you begin more intense exercise is essential to warming up and preventing injury. It gives your body time to adjust before more intense activity.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these guidelines for stretching before your workout:
- Warm up your muscles slowly by performing an aerobic activity at a very “easy pace.”
- Make your movements gentle and slow, remembering to breathe and relax.
- Hold each stretch in position for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Never bounce as you stretch.
- Stretch within your comfort level, and ease up if your stretch begins to hurt.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.