(HealthDay News) — Mealtime with an Alzheimer’s patient can be stressful and challenging, to make sure the patient gets sufficient nutrition.
The Alzheimer’s Association suggests how to help mealtime go more smoothly:
- Serve meals in a quiet environment with no distractions.
- Clear the table of everything but basic utensils and dishes; keep dishes plain rather than with bright colors or patterns.
- Make sure the food isn’t too hot.
- Serve only one or two foods at a time, and make an effort to honor the patient’s food preferences.
- Have meals together, and don’t rush the meal.
- Be understanding if the patient can’t remember already having eaten.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.