NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WGGB) — People turn to different ways to keep warm when the power is out. Some like generator use but it can be deadly if not used the correct way.
Foster Farrar Hardware in Northampton was a busy place on Monday. The store received a shipment of 75 generators.
And they didn’t stick around long according to co-owner Paul Czapienski, “We got in a small supply of about 76 units about 8am, and we were out of them in about 4 hours, ” says Czapienski.
These generators can be dangerous if not used properly, “Think of it as more a car, it has a gasoline motor, keep it outside the house, not in the house, away from the house at least 10 to 15 feet ,” says Czapienski.
Picking up the last generator was Scott Bergeron of Easthampton. Did he feel lucky?,”To a point lucky, to spend 500 bucks on an emergency but we were able to do it and instead of having to ship my family out about 50 miles away we were able to keep everyone at home,” says Bergeron.
Northampton Fire Chief Brian Duggan re-emphasized the potential dangers of using a generator,”The most prevalent problem we have is carbon monoxide, created from generators and within the city of Northampton, in the last two days we have responded to 15 to 20 carbon monoxide calls,” says Duggan.
Chief Duggan also recalls an incident in Northampton some time ago in which several people were overcome with carbon monoxide after using a generator inside their home.