logo

Two Dogs Dead From Heat Stroke

SOUTH DEERFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) –

Two dogs are dead after overheating Wednesday. Dr. Erika Mueller says the dogs were rushed to the Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital in South Deerfield, but when they arrived one was dead and the other had to be put down because it was too sick. Mueller says the dogs were waiting for their owner in the back of a pick-up truck with access to water and with the window down, but temperatures soared too high.

“One of the important things to help people realize how hot it really is outside is to go out and put your hands on the pavement,” Mueller siad.  “Then you’ll see how hot it really is and when your dog is only a foot tall that heat radiates up quite a bit so just always remember they can’t sweat like we can so you just need to take extra precuations.”

Mueller warns that dogs can overheat in a range of temperatures, but the greatest risks are in hot weather like the area has experienced this week. She says the clearest signs of heat stroke in your pet include excessive panting, salivating, or lethargic behavior.

The Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital in South Deerfield has sene a handful of heat related illnesses in dogs already this year. Mueller says the incidents are avoidable by only walking dogs in the early morning or evening hours and of course leaving lots of water out at all times.