Lightning Strike Damages Springfield House
Ron Bradley and his wife were in the room directly under the attic when a bolt struck their home. “I was lying in bed about 8:30 and my wife had just gotten up, you know, there was a thunderstorm going on, and I heard, probably the loudest noise I ever heard in my life. And we knew immediately that our house was hit” said Bradley.
They thought the fire on the home’s third floor was caused by lightning hitting a copper ornament on the roof, but, instead, “It hit a power line up in the attic, followed it into the house, and blew a light fixture off of the ceiling and the sparks from that started a fire on the floor of the attic” stated Glenn Guyer, Deputy of Operations for the Springfield Fire Department.
The attic is only used as a storage space, so no one was hurt.
The Bradley’s have lived in their home for 20 years, and say they’re lucky their Victorian didn’t go up in flames.
They don’t have their electricity or gas right now, but the Bradley’s aren’t frazzled.
The community’s got them covered. “People here are very supportive. We’ve had lots of offers. People have been coming here, asking if they can help, and that’s the way this neighborhood is, so, it’s been great,” Ron shared.
In fact, an olive branch was extended from right next door. “They don’t have electricity or gas right now, so it’d be fine with us if they came over here is they needed our facilities if they needed a place to stay or something” said neighbor Betty Berard.
Bradley’s not worried about lightning striking twice. “No, no I’m not. Surprised it didn’t hit the big Gingko tree that was right next to the house. But with all the damage to the trees, we’ll take a hit,” joked Ron.
“It’s Mother Nature. You’re at their beck and call. Anything she wants to do, It’s going to happen,” Chief Guyer chimed.
Chief Guyer says the fire caused around $20,000 worth of damage.