Firefighters Extinghish Fire At Joseph Freedman Company
That’s according to Dennis Leger, Aid to the Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant. He says overheated metal chips caught fire around 9:04 p.m.
When firefighters arrived at 115 Stevens Street they could see smoke coming from building 8 and 9.
Upon further investigation, Leger says they discovered that the cause of the fire was titanium chips that had built up so much heat they burst into flames.
“It’s a spontaneous combustion and the fire can’t be put out with water. We have to use a special chemical and physically rake the chips,” added Leger.
The Springfield Fire Department expects they will be on scene for a while until the situation can be brought under control.
At this time no injuries have been reported.
The smoke can still be scene in that area. Leger notes that it is not in any way hazardous to the public.
Stay tuned to ABC40 News for the latest on this developing situation.