logo

262 Liberty Street in Springfield No Stranger to Problems

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — The fire at 262 Liberty Street in Springfield was the second time in less than two months there have been problems at at that location.

On June 5th, a city fire inspector found a number of violations at the former HBA Cast Products.

Several people were living there and investigators found a gas cooking stove fueled by a propane tank, along with some illegally stored chemicals.

City officials knew of the potential dangers inside the building. This is what Deputy Director of Code Enforcement David Cotter told ABC40 back in June: “Right now we’re going to condemn the entire building and we’re cutting the power to the building. We’re also going to placard the building, so that the Springfield Fire Department will be able to fight the fire, if something happens here, from the outside.“

And that’s exactly how firefighters worked the fire Friday morning.

The building was condemned three weeks ago.

Officials say the building’s owners, Steven and Julie MacCormack of Somers, Conn., would likely face fines and other punitive measures for racking up numerous violations, including illegally storing chemicals and allowing people to live on the premises.