Springfield, Mass. (WGGB) — Garden Fresh Foods is recalling approximately 13,600 pounds of meat and poultry salad products because they contain diced onions by Gill Onions that the Food and Drug Administration has recalled due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) made the announcement Wednesday.
Garden Fresh Foods is a Milwaukee, Wisconsin establishment.
All the products were produced between July 10 and July 16. The packages bear the establishment number “P-17256” or “Est. 17256” inside the USDA mark of inspection and have the lot number ink jetted on the package.
The lot number is indicative of the product’s expiration date. For example, lot number “081912xx” indicates an expiration date of August 19, 2012.
FSIS was alerted to the problem by Garden Fresh Foods. The company was informed by a supplier that diced onions used in the product are subject to an FDA recall. FSIS and the company have received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of this product.
The products were distributed to retailers and institutions nationwide.
The products subject to recall include the following:
- 8 lb. packages of “Finest Traditions Spiral Pasta and Chicken Salad” with product code 38576 and lot number 08171201
- 4 lb. packages, 2 per case of “Finest Traditions Chicken Salad Spread” with product code 38886 and lot number 08201201 or 08151201
- 12 oz. packages, 6 per case of “Finest Traditions Chicken Salad Spread” with product code 38892 and lot number 08201201, or 08151201
- 8 lb. packages of “Finest Traditions Gemelli Pasta & Chicken Salad” with product code 38578 and lot number 08151201 or 08161201
- 5 lb. packages of “Garden Fresh All White Meat Chicken Salad With Cranberries” with product code 5114 and lot number 08201201, 08201202, 08151201, or 08151202
- 5 lb. packages of “Garden Fresh Chicken Salad” with product code 5113 and lot number 08201201, or 08171201
- 5 lb. packages of “Garden Fresh Premium Chicken Salad” with product code 5167 and lot number 08151201, or 08121201
- 5 lb. packages, 4 per case, of “Garden Fresh Reduced Fat Chicken Salad” with product code 5305 and lot number 08141201, or 18171201
- 5 lb. packages of “Garden Fresh Reduced Fat Chicken Salad” with product code 5306 and lot number 08141201, or 18171201
- 12 oz. packages, 6 per case of “Market Pantry Chicken Salad With All White Meat Chicken” with product code 24103 and lot number 08191201, 08191202, 08191203, 08191204, 08191205, 08191206, 08191207, or 08191208
- 5 lb. packages of “Weis Ham Salad” with product code 5212 and lot number 08161201
- 8 oz. packages, 9 per case of “Weis Ham Salad” with product code 05334 and lot number 08151202
- 12 oz. packages, 6 per case of “Garden Fresh Chicken Salad” with product code 6164 and lot number 08171201
When available, the retail distribution list will be posted on FSIS’ website.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Anyone concerned about an illness related to this recall should contact a healthcare provider.
Consumers with questions can contact Richard Riebel, Counsel for Garden Fresh Foods, at (414) 278-8500.
The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.