NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WGGB) – Prosecutors have announced that they are dismissing two of the five charges against a pair accused of tying a rope around a girl’s neck and tying her to a tree.
Wednesday, the Northwestern District Attorney’s office said they are dropping the kidnapping and attempted murder charges against Lance Gouvan and Megan Bonny.
Back on July 19, police say that they approached a girl, who was part of the Cutchins Program, in a field off Pomeroy Road.
It’s alleged that Bonny yelled to Gouvan to take away the girl’s jumprope and tie her to a tree.
Police say that Gouvan followed through with that, and dragged the girl into the woods, tied one end around the girl’s neck, and the other to a tree limb, and left her supporting herself on the tips of her toes.
The girl was later found and was able to give a description of the suspects, who police found a short time later.
Now, Gouvan and Bonny are only facing charges of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon (rope), and two counts of assault and battery.
Assistant District Attorney Linda Pisano says, “After reviewing and evaluating all of the evidence gathered thus far during the thorough investigation into this incident, we determined that the three remaining charges were the appropriate charges to proceed with thus far against these defendants.”
In light of the changes in their charges, a bail status hearing was held Wednesday where the Commonwealth and defense agreed to release Gouvan to house arrest with a GPS bracelet, as long he has no contact with anyone under 16, stays away from the victim and the Cutchins Center, and report weekly to probation.
Bonny was released to the custody of her parents last month, while awaiting court proceedings.
A pretrial conference is scheduled for September 28.