Helping Woman Recover From Flesh-Eating Infection
They say 53-year-old Karen Negosanti of Springfield was rarely sick — until she contracted a flesh-eating infection back in August.
Her family says the wounds were “horrifying,” and she had to be rushed to the hospital.
In fact, Karen is still at UMass Medical Center, where she’s recovering.
Flesh-eating infections are rare, but almost anyone is susceptible.
“Nobody knows where this came from,” says Roberta Dubovik of Springfield. “It comes from either bacteria under your fingernail and you pick, scratch a mosquito bite.”
Dubovik adds, “It can come from just using public bathrooms. I mean, just anything — it’s bacteria.”
Proceeds from tonight’s event will help Karen get back on her feet after she returns from the hospital.