Mayor Thomas Menino said Thursday a “crisis re-entry” team will manage individual cases, beginning with mandatory pre-release visits to give inmates information on jobs, housing, health care and education. The team includes representatives of the police, district attorney, probation department and social services. It begins Friday at the state Department of Corrections.
Menino announced the plan with Police Commissioner Edward Davis and District Attorney Daniel Conley. The mayor said he’ll seek federal and state aid for the plan that also includes police overtime to deter new crimes and street violence.
Conley said last week up 500 inmates, including some “pretty dangerous people,” may be released in Boston.