SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — Rumors continue to fly about Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick’s political future in the Obama administration.
FOX News is reporting Tuesday that Patrick is on a short list of candidates to replace current Attorney General Eric Holder, who plans to remain on the job as Attorney General for another year.
The FOX News report cited an unnamed senior administration official who said Governor Patrick was one of four possible replacements whose names were being floated on Capitol Hill.
Governor Patrick made a stop in Springfield this afternoon for the kickoff of the Union Station reconstruction project.
ABC40 asked the governor about the report.
Patrick says he wants to make it clear that he has two more years left on his term as Governor and he will finish that term here in Massachusetts.
“I’ve heard those rumors. I’m not withholding any information. I don’t know who’s on what list. I know what my plans are and my plans are to finish this term and then return to the private sector, which is what I promised my wife and in the meantime, we continue to have a very ambitious agenda with a lot of unfinished work and I’m going to keep at it.” says Patrick.
The governor was an Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Department of Justice’s civil rights division under President Clinton.
Perhaps adding a little fuel to the fire was that Governor Patrick and his wife Dianne attended what was described as a social dinner at the White House with President Obama last week.
The governor said the event was about laughing and telling stories, but there was no conversation about his joining the cabinet.