HADLEY, Mass. (WGGB) — A report of a gas smell forced the evacuations of two stores at a busy Route 9 shopping center.
Just before 2:00 p.m. Thursday, Hadley Fire says that they got a call for a smell of natural gas inside Walmart.
Walmart was first evacuated as a precaution, then Barnes and Noble was also evacuated.
Firefighters arrived and checked out the stores, and no gas registered on their metering devices.
Crews from the gas company remain on-scene investigating.
Customers were allowed back in to both stores around 2:40 p.m.