Search for Holyoke Robbery Suspect Leads to Several Other Arrests
HOLYOKE, Mass. (WGGB) — The search for a robbery suspect has led to several other arrests in Holyoke.
Police were called for a report of a bank robbery at the First Niagara Bank near the corner of Appleton and High Streets around 1:00 p.m. Monday.
That suspect then fled on foot towards 177 Elm Street, where state and local police converged upon and surrounded to try and find the thief.
Holyoke Police Lt. Matthew Moriarty says that when officers went into the building, they didn’t find the robber. Instead, he says that officers found five men that were involved in some sort of illegal activity.
Those five people were arrested on breaking and entering charges.
Arrested in the apartment building were:
- 27-year-old Jose Beltran, of Holyoke – Charged with breaking and entering in the daytime to commit a felony, possession of Class A drug (112 bags of heroin), possession of a class A substance with intent to distribute, drug violation near a school zone, possession of a Class B substance (5 bags of cocaine), possession of a Class B susbstance with intent to distribute, and intimidation of a witness
- 22-year-old Emannuel Martinez-Ten, of Holyoke – Charged with two counts of breaking and entering in the daytime to commit a felony
- 20-year-old Vincente Rodriguez, of Puerto Rico – Charged with two counts of breaking and entering in the daytime to commit a felony
- 23-year-old Jose Maldonado, of Holyoke – Charged with two counts of breaking and entering in the daytime to commit a felony
- 18-year-old Luis Daniel Torres, of Holyoke – Charged with two counts of breaking and entering in the daytime to commit a felony
About two hours later, Moriarty says that officers were called over to the rear of that Elm Street building for a report of a suspicious man.
There, investigators found the alleged robber, James Cunha of Chicopee, hiding in a dumpster behind the building. As he was taken into custody, ABC40’s Brendan Monahan reports that wads of cash could be seen coming from the man’s pockets.
Cunha is being charged with one count of assault and battery and one count of breaking and entering in the daytime.