Father of Conn. school gunman claims son’s body
FILE – This undated file photo circulated by law enforcement and provided by NBC News, shows Adam Lanza. Authorities say Lanza killed his mother at their home and then opened fire inside the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, killing 26 people. Connecticut Medical Examiner Wayne H. Carver II told the Hartford Courant that the remains of Adam Lanza were claimed several days ago by someone who wanted to remain anonymous. (AP Photo/NBC News, File)
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut elementary school, including 20 first-graders, has claimed his son’s body, a spokesman for the family said Monday.
The remains of Adam Lanza were claimed by Peter Lanza, the spokesman said. He said there were private arrangements over the weekend, but would not elaborate on what those arrangements were.
The office of Connecticut’s medical examiner released the body on Thursday to a person who asked to be anonymous, according to Linda Sylvia, an office spokeswoman.
Adam Lanza, 20, slaughtered the children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. He also killed his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.
A private funeral was held earlier this month in New Hampshire for his mother, Nancy Lanza, who was divorced from Peter Lanza.
Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric.
Authorities have not offered a motive for the killings. State police say they have been exploring all aspects of Adam Lanza’s life including his education, family history and medical treatment for clues.
Police have said it could take months to produce a final report on their investigation.