Conflicting Reports Over Whether or Not Lawyer Withdrew Sandy Hook Lawsuit
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP/WGGB) — There’s some debate over whether or not a Connecticut attorney seeking to sue the state for $100 million over the Newtown school shootings on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor withdrew the claim.
Originally, The Stamford Advocate reported that Irving Pinsky withdrew the suit saying also that he might refile. The news outlet also said the lawyer received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and was reviewing it.
However, we’re now hearing that the lawyer never withdrew the lawsuit.
That’s according to WFSB which is reporting they spoke with Pinsky today and he told them, “The claim wasn’t withdrawn yet.” But, their also reporting that the lawyer will probably pull the lawsuit.
Pinsky last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered “emotional and psychological trauma and injury.” He says state officials failed to prevent his client from foreseeable harm.
Connecticut has immunity against most lawsuits unless it gives a party permission to sue.
The state attorney general said Monday there appears to be no basis to support the suit or the state’s liability.