Gas Leak in Springfield Forces Evacuation of About 200 People
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — A gas leak at 104 Spring Street just before 4pm Monday caused some chaos in downtown Springfield. A construction crew working there accidentally punctured the gas line.
Springfield police and firefighters evacuated people from their buildings just as some snow was winding down, creating some slippery conditions. Making the situation even more difficult, was the fact that many of the evacuees were senior citizens from the Saint Luke’s Home.
“They say everyone has to get out. They they started yelling us we have to go out the back door, then I knew something was really wrong,” said Rosanne McLaughlan.
PVTA buses were brought in to help move those older residents to the police station where they could warm up.
The leak was a few blocks away from where the Scores nightclub blew up in November because of a gas leak. Aide to the Fire Commissioner Dennis Leger says, however, that the two leaks were completely different situations because this leak was not directly into a building like the one at Scores.
“It was scary cause it reminds me of the last explosion you know,” said Diane Johnson.
Columbia crews were on scene repairing the leak and patching up the hole. After a few hours, people were allowed back into their homes.