logo
Featured on 40:     Bear Sighting RAW VIDEO     Storm Week     Win a 60" TV!     40 Force: School Drive     Weather Discussion    
Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

Boston Boy Dies of Carbon Monoxide while Helping Dad Shovel

COBoston

BOSTON (AP) — The Boston fire department says an 11-year-old boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome as he sat in a running car to keep warm.

Boston fire spokesman Steve MacDonald said the boy was helping his father shovel out their car in the Dorchester neighborhood Saturday morning. The boy got cold after they had cleared the passenger side. The father then started the engine and the boy got inside the car.

MacDonald said the car’s exhaust was covered by a large snow bank, and the boy was overcome by fumes around 11:40 a.m.

MacDonald said neighbors, firefighters and EMT’s worked to revive the boy, but he was pronounced dead at Boston Medical Center.

The father went into respiratory arrest and also was taken to the hospital.

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.

  • paulb62

    So sad

  • Emar1970

    God bless this family that is a very sad story to come out of this storm