logo

Sumner Ave. School Evacuated after Gas Smell

sumneraveschool

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — The smell of natural gas forced one Springfield school to evacuate Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the Sumner Avenue School around 11:00 Wednesday.

Dennis Leger, aid to Springfield’s fire commissioner, says that the school was evacuated and Bay State Gas crews responded and investigated.

Springfield Schools spokesperson Azell Cavaan says that the students and staff were moved temporarily to the Trinity Church, so they can stay warm until the school was safe to re-enter.

No injuries were been reported.

Gas company workers found a small leak and was able to make a quick repair.

Everyone was let back into the school around 12:30 p.m.


Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus