Featured on 40:     Well Wishes for Alex     Parade Slideshow     Gas Prices     Weather Discussion    

Failing Fireplace Cause of Chicopee Fire

chic fire

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WGGB) — Fire investigators say a failing chimney contributed to a fire Friday in Chicopee.

Firefighters were called to the house at 24 Bernard Street around 5:00 a.m. Friday.

Deputy Fire Chief Dean Desmarais says that fire had spread to part of the roof structure of the ranch-style home.

Desmarais adds that once everyone inside the home were accounted for and safely out, firefighters were ordered out of the home for a time due to a safety concern.

Crews were allowed back in a short time later to complete putting out the blaze.

An elderly man was taken to Baystate Medical Center. While Desmarais could not comment on the man’s current condition, he said that it was reported that the man’s injuries were not life threatening.

A dog was also rescued from the home and is doing okay.

Desmarais says that investigators found that some deteriorating masonry in the fireplace allowed an ember from a fire the night before to escape and come in contact with some combustible material of the home.

Damage is estimated at at least $60,000.

Related Stories
Share this story


WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus