logo
Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

Fire Station Evacuated After Gas Meter Leak

House FireWESTON, Mass. (AP) — A gas leak caused by ice falling off a roof has led to the evacuation of a Massachusetts fire station.

Firefighters in Weston say snow and ice slid off the station’s roof and broke a gas meter outside Tuesday night.

Capt. Stephen Carter says the two firefighters at the station smelled gas and opened the windows and doors for ventilation and called utility crews. He says the building was evacuated as a precaution and no one was hurt.

The fire station isn’t the town’s main one and usually is staffed by two firefighters and one engine. There has been no report of emergency operations being affected by the gas leak.

Firefighters say utility crews are working to fix the broken gas meter.