logo

Greenwich Student Brings Live Bat to School

bats

GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) — Greenwich health officials say a local private school student didn’t realize the implications when bringing a live bat to school to show to a science class.

The incident at the Whitby School last week prompted a rabies test of the bat, which was killed by an exterminator. The test came back negative Saturday.

School officials told the Greenwich Time that they notified parents about the incident and when the test came back negative.

A school spokesman says the student and the student’s parents thought the bat would be an interesting thing to study but didn’t think about the possible hazards.

In 1995, Greenwich eighth-grader Maria Fareri died of rabies after being exposed to a rabid bat. She was the first person in Connecticut to die from rabies since 1932.

——

Information from: Greenwich Time, http://www.greenwichtime.com


Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus