logo
Featured on 40:     ABC 40 Celebrates     Fontenot Memorial     Fall Previews!     Back to School Pix     Weather Discussion    
share on facebook share on twitter
Breaking News
Pilot, Passenger Die in Plane Crash in New Hampshire Read more

Boston Mayor Tom Menino Announces He Will Not Seek Sixth Term

menino

By STEVE LeBLANC and BOB SALSBERG, Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) — Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has announced he won’t seek re-election to an unprecedented sixth term after nearly two decades in office.

Menino told well-wishers gathered at Boston’s historic Faneuil Hall Thursday afternoon that “I will leave the job that I love.”

Menino’s announcement came in the wake of persistent health problems including a six-week hospital state last year to treat a respiratory infection and a compression fracture in his spine. He says, “I’m back to a mayor’s schedule, but not a Menino schedule”

His decision not to run is expected to spark a political stampede to fill the coveted seat.

Menino wasn’t always the smoothest of political figures, but he earned a reputation as one of the hardest working, from filling potholes to shaping the city’s skyline.

He also became a prominent voice nationally in favor of stricter gun control measures.

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.

Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus