Pipe Break Forces Chicopee City Hall to Close
Maintenance crews, firefighters, electricians… all spent the day inside the annex building at city hall. And all cleaning up a mess after a 4th floor water fountain – the oldest in the building – burst overnight.
When the first City Hall employees arrived this morning around 6:45 – they found water rushing out the doors and called the fire department.
“The first trucks arrived to find heavy water from the 4th floor dripping down thru the hallway,” said Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Crevier, Chicopee Fire Department.
That water found its way down 3 floors… into offices, taking out ceiling tiles and soaking carpets.
It also flooded out the circuit boxes on the 3rd floor, causing the power to go out in the panels that feed the fire alarms and servers in the city’s IT department.
Around 1:30pm, electricians managed to restore electricity. A good thing, considering there are now 16 of these huge dehumidifiers and some 50 blowers trying to dry things out.
The blowers will take the water into the air and the dehumidifiers will take it out and self-dump it into a sink and basically take the relative humidity down,” explained Ryan Hawley of Complete Restoration Services.
It’s important to get the humidity down quickly not only to stop mold growth and odor… but also so the city can get back to business as soon as possible.
Crews fully expect everything to be dried up here at City Hall by Sunday night and doors to open first thing Monday morning… which is by the way – April Fool’s Day.
As bad as the damage is, maintenance crews say they’ve seen worse.
About 20 years ago the sprinkler system at Chicopee City Hall burst, creating an even bigger mess