Granby Man Arraigned on Child Pornography Charges
GRANBY, Mass. (WGGB) — A Granby man has pleaded not guilty to allegations that he possessed child pornography.
The plea was entered for 37-year-old David Linnehan Tuesday during his arraignment in Eastern Hampshire District Court on two counts of possession of child pornography.
In court Tuesday, Mass. Assistant Attorney General Timothy Wyse said that Linnehan’s arrest Monday night at his home was a result of a joint state and federal investigation into child sex abuse and the production of child pornography.
That investigation, Wyse adds, has led to three arrests so far, including Linnehan, one person in California, and another in Louisiana.
Prosecutors allege that Linnehan was in possession of “vast amounts of child pornography” and the evidence indicates that Linnehan allegedly distributed to others.
Wyse, who’s from AG Martha Coakley’s Cyber Crime Division, also noted in court that Linnehan allegedly admitted to receiving pornography “produced by a corespondent of [Linnehan's] in California.”
The joint investigation is ongoing and Wyse says that Linnehan may be subject to charges in federal court depending on how the investigation progresses. Those involved in the investigation are examining whether the suspect “directed child abuse or the production of the sexual abuse and pornography.”
Attorney Alan Rubin, who represented Linnehan in Tuesday morning’s proceeding, indicated that Linnehan has no prior record and is married with a 4-year-old son. He added that there was no evidence that the child was subject to any abuse.
According to Rubin, Linnehan worked in the information technology field and has worked at Springfield College. He also has “strong ties to this area,” having lived in this area most of his life and still has family in the area.
Because of the “seriousness of the charges and the facts,” Wyse asked for $50,000 bail with a number of conditions.
Rubin asked that Linnehan be released on his personal recognizance with some conditions. He added that the any decision on bail should be based on what is before the court Tuesday, not what “may be brought” against Linnehan.
Ultimately, bail was set for Linnehan for $25,000.
Should he be able to post bail, Linnehan will have to surrender his passport, wear a GPS monitoring device, have no access to the Internet, not leave Massachusetts, have no contact with any child under the age of 18, and stay away from parks, daycares and schools.
The investigation remains active and ongoing.
Linnehan is due back in court on May 6.