BOSTON (WGGB/AP) — Conflicting reports are now surfacing about whether or not a person is in custody and under arrest for Monday’s bombings in Boston.
Earlier Wednesday afternoon, several sources told media outlets including the Associated Press, the Boston Globe, CNN, and Boston television stations WCVB-TV and WFXT-TV that an arrest had been made.
Security was visibly heavy as reporters from around the world arrived at the John Joseph Moakley Federal Courthouse along Boston’s waterfront shortly after those reports surfaced.
However, about an hour after those reports surfaced, Boston Police tweeted that “Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.”
In addition, a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s office also told The Boston Globe that no arrest and nobody has been placed into custody.
CNN’s John King reports that, according to federal law enforcement sources, “significant developments” have been made just since yesterday as it relates to the investigation.
Around 3:00 p.m., the FBI office in Boston released this statement: “Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.”
The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi. She was a graduate student at Boston
The FBI and Boston Police are planning a press briefing at 5:00 p.m. Wednesday.
ABC40 is in Boston and will have the latest as it becomes available on-air and online.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.