Featured on 40:     Well Wishes for Alex     Parade Slideshow     Gas Prices     Weather Discussion    
Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

Unattended Food on Stove Causes Fire at Springfield Apartment

Springfield Cooking FireSPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — Unattended food left cooking on the stove caused a fire to start at an apartment on Berkshire Avenue in Springfield tonight displacing the tenant.

The Springfield Fire Department received the call at 6:50 p.m. today and responded immediately to the scene.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire at the apartment very quickly though. It’s located at 428 Berkshire Avenue.

According to Dennis Leger, Aid to the Fire Commissioner, the resident was cooking food on the stove when he left it to go outside and then he forgot about it. That’s when the fire started and ended up burning right through the roof.

“This type of building, brick like that, things tend to get hot quickly,” explains Leger.

He says the apartment is completely gutted and estimates the fire caused about $20,000 in damages.

The Red Cross told us they will be helping out the displaced tenant.

None of the other surrounding apartments suffered any significant damage in this fire.

Leger adds that unattended cooking fires are the most common cause of fires in the city.

Related Stories
Share this story


WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus