SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — An Indian Orchard strip mall is back open following a gas leak earlier today.
Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield’s Fire Commissioner, says that Thursday morning, a police officer was working a construction detail in the area of Main Street and Myrtle Street in Indian Orchard when all of a sudden, that officer heard a pop and the man went up in the air.
Natural gas could immediately be smelled in the area. Crews responded and meters detected the presence of gas in the air.
Leger adds that a nearby strip mall has been evacuated as a precaution.
A day center is also located in the area. Leger says that their space did not need to be evacuated because the children and staff were already away from the area working on a project.
Columbia Gas has been called in to investigate.