Featured on 40:     Well Wishes for Alex     Parade Slideshow     Gas Prices     Weather Discussion    
Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

Local, State Police Work to Reconstruct Deadly Westfield Crash

WESTFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — Police closed down a busy intersection in Westfield Tuesday morning as they continue to investigate an accident that killed a young boy.

Using the same dump truck that hit and killed 7-year-old Michael Ryan nearly two months ago, the State Police Collision Analysis Reconstruction Section, or ‘CARS’, staged the deadly accident starting at 8 a.m.

By 10 a.m., after extensively examining the truck, owned by Moose Meadowbrook Excavation, the accident reconstruction team moved it into position. They used a bike similar to the one Ryan was riding and a young boy about his age.

Meanwhile, Westfield Police blocked traffic around the cordoned off intersection of Montgomery and Crown Streets.

For people who live in the area, and unaware that it was a re-enactment, it caused some anxiety.

“We were walking down and I saw when we got closer. I saw the bike in the intersection and then I saw all the…I saw you know everybody standing around. I wasn’t sure if there was another accident or what was going on,” says Rachel Keating of Westfield.

James Campagna adds, “All the caution tape and the truck and just at least eight cruisers up here and I was just, I didn’t know what to think. My heart kind of dropped and I just thought about that little boy. It was hard.”

State Police worked backwards from the moment of impact, logging measurements, snapping pictures – trying to determine exactly what went wrong.

While an accident can take just seconds to happen, reconstructing it is an exact science and that can take hours.

Assistant District Attorney Jim Forsyth was also on scene, just as he was the day of the accident, and while he wouldn’t talk on camera, he acknowledged the importance of the data gathered today as his office tries to re-create and understand the actions of the driver and the young victim.

This morning’s accident reconstruction took about four hours.

The case remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.

Forsyth estimates it will take several more months to go over the data collected at the scene today before determining an outcome.



Related Stories
Share this story


WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus