logo

Fire at Meadowbrook Apartments in Northampton Caused by Lighter

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WGGB) — The cause of a fire that broke out Monday at an apartment complex in Northampton was due to a lighter spark.

The Northampton Fire Department says a child was playing with a lighter in a bedroom at the Meadowbrook Apartments on Bridge Road when it broke out.

It extended further into the structure and caused almost $500,000 in damages to twelve apartments in the complex.

Thirty-five people have been displaced, and one reported suffering a minor injury.

State Fire Marshall Stephen Coan says, “In 2011, children playing with matches, lighters and other heat sources caused 122 reported fires, 15 civilian injuries, three fire service injuries and an estimated dollar loss of $765,67.”

He adds, “Matches and lighters are tools not toys…watch your children, don’t let them play with these types of things.”

Northampton Fire, Police, and State Police were all part of the investigation.

 

 

nohofire2

nohofire1

nohofire3

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.

Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus