The differences among facial tissues are nothing to sneeze at. Overall scores in our tests, based on strength (tested by a machine) and softness (judged by human hands), ranged from fair to excellent. We found:
- Five products were worth recommending, including Kleenex Lotion Aloe & E, a CR Best Buy.
- You can’t rely on a name’s claim. Ology Soft & Strong was one of the least soft; Total Home Soft & Strong was among the least strong; Great Value and 365 Everyday Value were not the best values.
- Tissues with lotion did well overall, but some without it are very soft. Kleenex Ultra Soft (no lotion) was a bit softer than Puffs Plus Lotion and Kleenex Cool Touch (both with lotion).
- The number of plies may not matter. Puffs Ultra Soft & Strong, two plies, bested all three-plies.
- Scotties claims it’s dye-free, and Ology claims it’s biodegradable, but neither performed very well.
- Kleenex Cool Touch tissues do feel cool right out of the box. “Body heat activates the formula [including moisturizers and aloe] to release cooling comfort to soothe a sore nose,” says the website. Do you need cold Kleenex? Up to you.
Bottom line. The highest-rated products can be welcome company during allergy season. Lotion tissues may keep your nose from getting irritated. And remember not to use them to clean eyeglasses.
Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers or sponsors on this website. Copyright © 2007-2013 Consumers Union of U.S.