Norfolk County Man is State’s Second Human Case of West Nile This Season
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts health officials have confirmed a second case of West Nile virus in the state this summer.
The health department said Wednesday that a Norfolk County man in his 30s has recently recovered from the mosquito-borne illness and been discharged from a hospital.
Officials said Monday that a Plymouth County man in his 70s had the mosquito-borne illness and was recovering in a hospital.
There were 33 West Nile cases in the state last year, and at least one death.
Last week health officials said a Norfolk County woman in her 80s who recently died was the first case of Eastern equine encephalitis this year. There were seven cases in Massachusetts last year, and at least two deaths.
Officials are urging precautions against mosquitoes as the Labor Day weekend approaches.