AMHERST, Mass. (WGGB) — A potentially deadly drug is gaining popularity around the country and in the Pioneer Valley.
MDMA, or “Molly” is the powder form of ecstasy.
“I’ve heard of people like on campus either selling it or like had used it,” said Emma Lugten, UMass Sophomore.
“It’s this new craze that I think the hype is so strong at a point hopefully it’s gonna die,” said Sam Greenfield, UMass Sophomore.
Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson says he’s noticed the drug growing in popularity over the last three years especially at raves and concerts.
The drug increases a person’s heart rate, can cause dehydration and makes a person hyper.
“What they need is just a quiet place to sit and come down off that high,” said Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson.
Sometimes users get carried away and put first responders at risk.
“They get paranoid, sometimes they actually fight with police and the EMTs, which makes them even more dangerous,” said Amherst Fire Captain Jeffery Olmstead.
Two people, including a woman from Rhode Island, died during the “Electric Zoo” festival in New York this weekend for overdoses.
This comes after a person died at the House of Blues in Boston also after using Molly.
Students hope these tragic events make people think twice before using.
“It’s really concerning you know I hope some how we get better education out there, people start making better decisions,” said Greenfield.
The drug is not new it was actually discovered in 1914, and used as a diet drug.