logo

Crews Investigating Springfield House Fire, Two Hospitalized

20130910_041217

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — We’re following breaking news out of Springfield where firefighters are investigating a fire that broke out in a home at 220 Ambrose Street.

The fire started at 3:52  a.m. Tuesday, and was extinguished by 4:30 a.m.

Aide to the Fire Commissioner, Dennis Leger told ABC40 that the home is a converted barn and the fire started on the second floor in the kitchen area.

Leger said two residents were taken to the hospital. Opal Sanders, 34, was taken to Baystate Medical Center to be treated for burns to her arms, torso, and face.  She has since been moved to the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital in Conn. Leger said her body is about 80% burned. Erskine Chaffin, 80, was also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. A dog was also taken from the home by Animal Control and will be taken to an animal hospital.

Investigators estimate the damage to be around $25,000.

Stay with ABC40 on air and online for the latest on this breaking news.


View 220 Ambrose St in a larger map

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.

Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus