Authorities Believe There Was Only Lone Gunman in Navy Yard Shooting
WASHINGTON (AP) –
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.
Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect.
Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed.
Gray said at a news conference late Monday night that they are still notifying the families of about half of the 12 people who were killed.
The FBI says the gunman used a valid pass to get on to the Navy Yard.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. EARLIER AP STORY FOLLOWS.
By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer
Defense officials say Aaron Alexis, identified as the gunman who opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, was a full-time Navy reservist from 2007 to 2011 and worked recently as a Defense Department contractor.
He also prayed at a Buddhist temple, was taking online course in aeronautics and was involved in past shooting incidents which attracted police attention in Seattle and Fort Worth, Texas.
It was not immediately clear why Alexis left the reserves, who his latest employer was, or what his motives might have been for going on a rampage. He was one of 13 people killed during Monday’s shootings.
Police in Seattle say Alexis was arrested there in 2004 for shooting out the tires of another man’s vehicle in what he described to detectives as an anger-fueled “blackout.”