Woman Burned in Ambrose Street Fire Dies from Injuries
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — A woman seriously burned in a Springfield fire last week has succumbed to her injuries.
Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield’s fire commissioner, says that 34-year-old Opal Sanders has died after suffering burns over 80 percent of her body in a fire on Ambrose Street last Tuesday.
Sanders was first transported to Baystate Medical Center after she was burned on her arms, torso, and face. She was then subsequently transferred to Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, Conn., where friends tell ABC40 she passed away Monday afternoon.
80-year-old Erskine Chaffin was also taken to the hospital following the fire for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Leger adds that investigators have determined that unattended cooking on the stove top was the cause of the fire.
The fire caused about $25,000 in damage.