Springfield School Evacuated Following Gas Leak
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — A gas leak forced the evacuation of a Springfield school Friday morning.
Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield’s fire commissioner, says that crews were called out to the Baystate Academy Charter School on Franklin Street just before 10:00 a.m.
Students and staff were evacuated from the building and as part of the school’s evacuation plan, everyone was walked over to the YMCA for shelter, Leger adds.
Columbia Gas was called in to shut off gas service. Crews found that a piece of equipment at the school needs some repairs.
The school’s executive director, Timothy Sneed, says that everyone has since been allowed back into the school.
However, Sneed explains that because the students became wet from the rain during their walk to and from the YMCA, the school has contacted parents to come pick up their child.
No injuries were reported.