logo

Fire Breaks Out at Massasoit Street Home, 7 People Displaced

massasoit

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — Seven people have been left homeless after a fire broke out late Thursday afternoon damaging a multi-family home on Massasoit Street in Springfield.

The call came in on the house fire located at 175 Massasoit Street in Springfield around 4:30 p.m. Thursday.

Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield’s fire commissioner, says that it appears the fire started in the second floor kitchen and dining area and the cause was electrical in nature.

Most of the damage, Leger adds, is to the second floor and he estimates the cost to be between $25,000 and $30,000 in all.

Three people on the first floor and four people on the second floor were displaced by the fire.  Leger says the landlord is assisting several of the tenants with temporary housing and the Red Cross is helping the others.

No injuries were reported.

While incident remains under investigation, Leger explained to ABC40 that it does not appear to be suspicious.


Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus