Incognito Addresses Martin Controversy for the First Time
(WGGB) — Suspended Miami Dolphins lineman Richie Incognito sat down for his first interview since the allegations emerged about him harassing a teammate.
In interview with FOX Sports on Sunday, Incognito discussed the accusations that he verbally abused and harassed rookie teammate Jonathan Martin. The rookie later checked himself into a hospital for emotional distress.
Incognito commented on the voicemail that had been released, which he left on Martin’s cell phone. In the message, Incognito uses racial slurs and threatens to kill Martin.
While Incognito said he was embarrassed by the language he used, he claims that that type of interaction is common in an NFL locker room, specifically in the Dolphins’ locker room.
“I’m embarrassed by my actions,” Incognito said Sunday. “But what I want people to know is, the way Jonathan and the rest of the offensive line and how our teammates how we communicate, its vulgar.”
He insisted that it is not right, but that it is a regular part of the teams’ interaction.
He also claimed that Martin sent him a threatening text in the same manor, in which Martin threatened Incognito’s family. Incognito explained that he did not actually fear for his family, because that is how Martin and other team mates joked with each other.
Incognito and the Miami Dolphins are still under investigation by the NFL, as the league tries to determine who on the team knew what about the alleged actions.