logo
Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

One Person Sent to Hospital After Fire at Springfield Home

SPRINGFIELD (WGGB) — One person is in the hospital for injuries sustained during a fire in a multi-family home at 46 and 48 Shawmut St. on Sunday night.

Aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner Dennis Leger says that the fire began at around 8:35 p.m. in a hallway and spread to a balcony on the second floor of the home.

One resident suffered burns to the arms and face and had to be taken to Baystate Medical Center for treatment.

Leger says the fire caused $15,000 worth of damage. They believe that it was an accidental fire started by a butane lighter.

That fire is still under investigation.