logo

Two Overnight Fires in Springfield Caused by Careless Disposals

porch fire


SPRINGFIELD (WGGB) — Firefighters in Springfield were kept busy in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

First, they worked quickly to put out a fire close to “the X” at 3:20 a.m.

Crews were called to a home at 496 White St., near the intersection with Standish St. Firefighters found the porch of a two-story house on fire.

Aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner Dennis Leger says the fire started from a careless disposal on that porch and it was quickly extinguished.

Nearly two hours later, Springfield Fire trucks responded to a home on 93 Whittier St., where a fire had started on a second-floor porch in the back of the home.

Firefighters controlled the fire shortly after they responded at 5:15 a.m. Leger says that fire was also caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette.

The Springfield Fire Department did not detail exactly how much damage was done at either location, but say it was not extensive.

Neither fire is being considered suspicious.


Comments

WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus