State Grants $40 Million for Health Initiatives
Nine community-based partnerships, including Berkshire Medical Center, Holyoke Health Center, and the City of Worcester are among the recipients.
The initiative is intended to reduce costs tied to diseases such as diabetes, obesity and asthma that can be prevented if people know how to maintain and manage their health.
Each of the grantees under the Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund will receive up to $250,000 initially.
Additional funding will be awarded for grantees that show promise over the next three years. Funding will be subjected to the specific health and cost savings benchmarks administered by the Department of Public Health.
Funded Partnerships in Western & Central Mass.:
Berkshire Medical Center (coordinating organization)
• Berkshire County Boards of Health
• Berkshire United Way
• Berkshire Regional Planning Commission / Berkshire Public Health Alliance
• Fairview Hospital
• North Adams Regional Hospital
• North Berkshire Community Coalition
• Tri-town Health Department District
Holyoke Health Center (coordinating organization)
• City of Holyoke
• Greater Holyoke YMCA
• Holyoke Medical Center, Inc.
• River Valley Counseling Center, Inc.
• Western Mass Physician Associates, Inc.
City of Worcester (coordinating organization)
• Central MA Area Health Education Center
• Community Legal Aid, Inc.
• Edward M. Kennedy Community Health Center
• Fallon Community Health Plan
• Family Health Center of Worcester, Inc.
• MA Audubon Society / Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary
• Mosaic Cultural Complex
• UMASS Medical School
• UMASS Memorial Medical Center
• VNA Network Care and Hospice
• Worcester Child Development and Head Start Program
• Worcester Public Schools