logo

Electrical Fire Leaves Four Homeless in Springfield

quincy streetSPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) – Four people have been displaced after a house fire took over their two-family home in Springfield.

Three adults and one child were in the house at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.

Executive Aid to the Fire Commissioner, Dennis Leger, said the call came in just before 6:30 for a fire at 39 Quincy Street.

Leger said it appeared the first and third floors might have been occupied.

A female Chihuahua was rescued by a member of the rescue squad from the third floor.

The fire caused damage to all three floors of the two and a half story building. It will cost $50,000 for repairs to the house.

Leger said the fire was caused by electrical problems that started on the ceiling of the second floor living room.

The American Red Cross assisted the family with emergency temporary shelter at a hotel, funds for food.