Bob Costas Hopeful About Olympics Return Despite Eye Infection
by Natalie Abrams
NBC’s Bob Costas is hopeful that he’ll be back on the air before the end of the Sochi Olympics after suffering from an eye infection that sidelined him earlier this week.
“I feel fine, which seems weird,” Costas said on Ryan Seacrest‘s morning radio show On Air With Ryan Seacrest. “I did the first five nights wearing glasses. Even though people could see how red and swollen my eyes were, I didn’t care because I could still function. I could still read the notes I had to read on the athletes and find my way around the studio. But, then in the last 36 hours, it got to the point my vision became so blurry and sensitive to light I can’t even be in regular room light let alone studio light.”
Costas was replaced by Matt Lauer on Tuesday after the eye infection, became noticeably worse and began to alarm concerned viewers. “In sports, there’s a term that they use for people who are on the injured list. They say: ‘He’s day-to-day.’ And I am day-to-day,” Costas said. “I’m hoping that I’m back by the weekend and I certainly think I’ll be able to do the second half of the games. The virus, they tell me, will run its course for two or three weeks, but … as soon as the symptoms get to the point where I can be in the studio, I’ll be there.”
Prior to his sick leave this week, Costas, 61, had anchored NBC’s nightly Olympics coverage since 1988.
Have you been watching the Winter Olympics? Do you miss Costas’ coverage?