Watch ABC40 News Live!   (View)

Faulty Pipe Led to NY Mall Carbon Monoxide Leak

(AP/Steve Silverman)

(AP/Steve Silverman)

HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) — A faulty water heater flue pipe caused the carbon monoxide leak that led to a restaurant manager’s death at a New York mall and sent more than two dozen people to hospitals.

Huntington Chief Fire Marshal Terence McNally says the fumes were circulated in the basement by the ventilation systems at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops on Long Island.

Steven Nelson, a 55 year-old restaurant manager, was found dead in the basement on Saturday night.

McNally said Sunday the restaurant was inspected last March, and no problems found. Another inspection was scheduled for next month.

The company has been issued a citation for defective equipment. McNally says the flue pipe will have to be repaired before the restaurant can re-open.

  • alpinequeen

    I had the oil burner in my new house cleaned and checked out last Fall. The technician found the flue pipe inside the burner was perforated. He installed a stainless steel duct pipe, fixed all the external flue pipes, cleaned out the chimney thingy and fixed a broken leg on the oil tank. It’s better to be safe than wait for a problem.