Twelve People Displaced Following Fire on Hancock Street in Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — 12 are homeless after fire crews worked to knock down a fire at 1360 Hancock Street in Springfield.
Firefighters were called out to a home around 11:45 a.m. Wednesday.
Dennis Leger, aide to Springfield’s fire commissioner, said 12 people were inside the home at the time of the fire – two on the second floor, ten on the first.
Everyone was able to make it out safely.
The Red Cross was on scene assisting the residents and provided emergency shelter, funds for food and clothing, and supplies for the children.
Leger adds that the cause of the fire appears to be a power strip on the third floor of the home.
The fire caused about $60,000 in damage.
No injuries were reported.