Fox Chairman of Entertainment Kevin Reilly Stepping Down
Fox boss Kevin Reilly announced Thursday that he will step down by the end of June.
“[Fox Networks Group CEO] Peter [Rice] and I have been discussing this transition for a while, and now with a robust new slate of programming for next season and strength in the FBC ranks, it felt like the timing was as right as it could be,” Reilly said in a statement. “I couldn’t be more thankful to my team — a group of creative, tireless and fun people whose fellowship I will miss.”
Reilly joined Fox in 2007 and was promoted to Chairman of Entertainment in 2012. He helpded launch such shows as Glee, New Girl and Fox’s latest hit, Sleepy Hollow. He previously worked for NBC and FX, and will be inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in October.
In a conference call ahead of Fox’s upfront presentation earlier this month, Reilly acknowledged that the past TV season had been “a tough one” for the network, which ended the season in fourth place in overall viewers (an average of 7.5 million a night) and second in adults 18-49. Reilly also made headlines last year by eschewing the traditional pilot season in favor of year-round programming.
“Kevin’s undeniable creative gift and passion for talent have left an indelible mark on our company, and we’re extremely grateful to him for his leadership, beginning with The Shield andNip/Tuck at FX and continuing through Glee, New Girl, The Following, Sleepy Hollow andBrooklyn Nine-Nine at FOX.,” Rice said in a statement.”Kevin and I have been discussing his desire for a new challenge for some time, so while everyone at the network will miss his enthusiasm for adventurous television, we all respect his decision and agreed that after the upfront presentation was the right time. I’m personally extremely grateful to Kevin for his partnership during the past five years and look forward to working with him again in the future.”
Fox has not named a replacement for Reilly.