Donald Sterling Filing $1 Billion Lawsuit Against NBA
Donald Sterling has pulled his support from a deal to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Sterling is instead preparing a $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA.
“The deal is off; the lawsuit is on,” Sterling’s attorney Maxwell Blecher said in a statement Monday.
Sterling’s wife, Shelly, negotiated the record-breaking $2 billion sale of the Clippers to Ballmer last month after Sterling gave Shelly sole control of the team.
According to the lawsuit, the NBA violated Sterling’s constitutional rights by relying on information from an “illegal” recording in which the Clippers owner went on a racist rant to his girlfriend. It also alleges that the league committed a breach of contract by fining him $2.5 million and that the NBA violated antitrust laws by attempting to force a sale.
Sterling originally had supported the sale on the grounds that “all their differences had been resolved,” his attorney said. But upon learning the NBA wouldn’t revoke his lifetime ban and fine, Sterling withdrew his support.
Watch This Tonight: Why Pretty Little Liars is today’s editors’ picks